Sunday, February 19, 2017

Journal Entry 3

Article 1 (twin Study)


Afari, N., Noonan, C., Goldberg, J., Roy-Byrne, P., Schur, E., Golnari, G., & Buchwald, D. (2010). Depression and obesity: do shared genes explain the relationship? Depression and Anxiety,27(9), 799-806. doi:10.1002/da.20704


This article is directly relevant to my topic (twin Study) and this is proven by the title itself but also the information given throughout the article. I chose this article because the past five article I had in Journal entry 2 are based on if there is a relationship of obesity and depression. According to all five article they are related and it was proven that the cause is bidirectional for both, meaning that both disorders are known to increase the chance of the second disorder. This research is looking in more of what specifically is causing depression and obesity to occur. This twin study is used to compare genetics of monozygotic twins to see if they will get the symptoms because they have the exact same genes. I will be using this in the results section because part of my question is how are we able to help the problem so if we know that it is genetic then we know to keep a close eye on a child whose parents may be obese or may have depression. Early detection would help the problem significantly and would allow the adolescent to be prepared. The only downside to this article is that it is based on females only but I did learn females are at higher risk for depression than males. One interesting thing I found in this article is that if your parents are obese or have Depression than the child is more likely to gain the same disorder.


Article 2 (Cohort)


Goodman, E., Slap, G. B., & Huang, B. (2003). The Public Health Impact of Socioeconomic Status on Adolescent Depression and Obesity. American Journal of Public Health, 93(11), 1844-1850. doi:10.2105/ajph.93.11.1844


This article is directly relevant to my topic (twin Study) and this is proven because it test the Socioeconomic status (SES) and rates of depression and obesity in adolescents. I chose this article for the same reason as above. I wanted more info on what could be causing the disorders since it is known that obesity and depression lead to each other as a second disorder. So to help fix the problem we need to know what is causing it. This research looks into household income and also parent education, separating them into five different categories. It was proven for parents who had lower income that obesity and depression  are both higher factors in those areas. I will be using this in my result section to help show that lower income areas are at more risk and for me to look into what could be done to help in this area. If it is for lack of grocery store, lack of education on healthy lifestyles or even higher amount of stress since low income areas tend not to be the safest as well. The downsides to this article is that it just give us the information on if SES is a factor, but it doesn’t give us reasons on what could be causing this. I did find it interesting that depression is a big factor in lower incomes, but it does make sense if you think about all the factors I earlier in this paragraph.


Article 3


Fletcher, J. M., & McLaughlin, S. M. (2015). Neighborhood factors during adolescence: Modest effects on cardiovascular risk, small impact on obesity and depression. Health Affairs, 34(9), 1472-2A. doi:http://dx.doi.org.unr.idm.oclc.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2015.0292


This article is directly relevant to my topic (cohort study) and this is proven because it shows the relationship of obesity and depression in certain neighborhoods. I chose this article for the same reason as the last two, just to get further information on what are possible causes for these disorders to come up. I will be using this in my result section to show further proof that where a person lives increases their chances of getting these disorders. I will most likely still use this info in my paper but it is similar to article 2, where it just gives me the result of it, but no actual info on why or what characteristics of living in these neighborhoods cause this to happen. This is why I will still be looking for another article to take the place of this one. I didn’t find anything interesting in this article because as I stated it just gave me the same results as the last article.


Article 4


Ortega, F. B., Ruiz, J. R., Castillo, M. J., & Sjostrom, M. (2008). Physical fitness in childhood and adolescence: a powerful marker of health. International Journal of Obesity, 32(1), 1+. Retrieved from http://go.galegroup.com.unr.idm.oclc.org/ps/i.do?p=HRCA&sw=w&u=reno&v=2.1&it=r&id=GALE%7CA190151552&sid=summon&asid=9dd3d7c3150fac76996c4627e79a6c4f
This article is indirectly relevant to my topic (Lit. Review) because it is a study based on physical fitness and how it helps with multiple disorders. Obesity and depression are two of the disorders mentioned, but these disorders aren't the main topic. I will mainly use this in my results but more on what could help with the current problem. This was a great article because it does show that it helps with both adiposity and depression, but they measure for abdominal adiposity, not BMI obesity. I found it interesting that cardiorespiratory fitness has been shown to have both short- term and long-term effect on psychological outcomes.  
Article 5
Schafft, K. A., Jensen, E. B., & Hinrichs, C. C. (2009). Food deserts and overweight schoolchildren: Evidence from pennsylvania*. Rural Sociology, 74(2), 153-177. Retrieved from http://unr.idm.oclc.org/login?url=http://search.proquest.com.unr.idm.oclc.org/docview/199367471?accountid=452
This article is indirectly relevant to my topic (Cohort Study) because it is a study done only on obesity rates in food deserts. I chose to research this more because I have enough information on if Obesity and depression are common together but I need more info on what causes these. As we know now that obesity is a cause of depression, if a food desert is a cause of obesity than it can  easily help lead to depression as well. I like this article because it shows longitudinal studies on how many obese kids there are in food deserts compared to none food deserts but also the rates they increase.  I find it interesting that both food deserts and non food deserts both have increased obesity since 1991 but also that the rate is still higher in food deserts. The positives of this journal article is that it gives great detail of the results and also possible reasons on why this is happening, but the negative is that it is a study only done in Pennsylvania making it a smaller study group than I would like.

No comments:

Post a Comment